BAYVILLE HAUNTED ASYLUM
The Hospital of St. Benedict opened in 1948 in Bayville, New York. Dr. Barrington Bay, a pioneer in New York’s medical community, was selected to be the chief administrator. It was a hospital for misfits—lost souls that were either convicted of a crime but not mentally fit for regular incarceration or the poor whose only option was state subsidised care. Dr. Bay could have worked for any hospital, but he chose St. Benedict because it gave him the opportunity to help those who needed it most.
By the 1950s, the quality of care provided by the hospital dropped significantly as funding was cut by the state. The doctors and staff were forced to reuse medical supplies leading to an increase in infections and fatalities. Surgical equipment fell into poor condition resulting in several botched procedures. Dr. Bay fought vigorously to provide adequate care for his patients, but to little success.
His struggles came to a head when an emergency procedure conducted on his pregnant wife resulted in her death. Bay slipped into deep despair, as he began to abuse morphine and other sedatives. He became obsessed with inventing an alternative procedure to the one that killed his wife. He started neglecting his responsibilities, allowing the hospital to slip into chaos. His obsession lead him to test radical procedures on unsuspecting patients, which resulted in their disfigurement or death. Stories of horrifying malpractice began to circulate, leading to the press nicknaming the institution “The Asylum of Death” or simply, “The Asylum.”
By 1965, the state intervened and shut down the hospital. Days before its doors were closed for good, Dr. Bay and his staff mysteriously vanished and were never seen again. In recent years, citizens of Bayville have reported seeing lights mysteriously turning on and screams of horror emanating from inside the hospital. Rumor has it that Dr. Bay and a few loyal staff members have returned to the Asylum where they continue to practice their gruesome procedures.